Aerial stunt goes awry, 2 actors feared dead

Bangalore: Two actors who plunged from a helicopter into a reservoir for a spectacular movie climax on Monday are feared dead.

They were shooting at Thippagondanahalli, 35 km west of Bengaluru, for the Kannada film Masti Gudi. Anil, 33, and Uday Raghav, 32, were performing the stunt with lead actor Duniya Vijay.

All three jumped from the chopper, as required by the script. Vijay was rescued by a coracle. The police suspect Anil and Uday got stuck in the silt.

The incident took place at 2.15 pm. The three actors rehearsed the stunt by jumping from the helicopter parked by the reservoir. They then boarded the helicopter.

“Uday and Anil jumped first and Vijay followed seconds later. A coracle with some unit members and two men from the area brought Vijay to safety. Uday and Anil were stuck in the silt and didn’t come up,” an official said.

The Tavarekere police have registered a case of negligence against the unit. The producers had obtained permission to shoot at the reservoir, but violated the restriction on aerial shooting, they said.

Security measures were not in place either, Inspector-General of Police (Central) Seemanth Kumar Singh told DH.

“The lead actor was wearing a life jacket inside a camouflage jacket. But the other two were just wearing pants. We have pressed expert divers into service,” he said.
The bodies had not been traced till 8 pm.

Meanwhile, BWSSB Chief Administrative Officer Jagadish has called for a report into the incident. The Thippagondanahalli reservoir used to supply drinking water to parts of Bengaluru.

“Some time ago, KPS Combines had taken permission to shoot, but cancelled their schedule. They again approached us on November 4 for a day’s shooting on November 7.

We had laid down 12 conditions. The BWSSB has an office near the reservoir and I have asked the assistant executive engineer to file a report,” Jagadish said. A BWSSB source said a boat had been stationed at the location, but it was not in ‘ready-to-move’ mode. BWSSB officials said they left the site once the rehearsals began. “The permission was given only to shoot on the banks and in the gardens near the BWSSB office. We don’t know when the helicopter took off,” an official said.


Leave a Reply